We believe the purpose of Physical Education is to develop children’s enjoyment and skill in physical activity and to introduce them to the pleasures of sport. Physical Education promotes personal, social, intellectual and physical skills and fosters co-operation, tolerance and self-esteem. Children receive dance lessons and in Year 4 and 5, swimming lessons are provided at Chesham Leisure Centre. The school also encourages links with local experts who provide specialist tuition in such areas as cricket, rugby, football, basketball and tennis.
Provision in the curriculum will enable pupils to:-
- Play competitive games, modified where appropriate, such as football, netball, rounders, cricket, hockey, basketball, badminton and tennis and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- Take part in gymnastics activities
- Take part in athletics activities
- Perform dances
- Take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- Swimming and water safety: the ability to swim at least 25 metres before the end of Year 6 and knowledge of how to remain safe in and around water