Brushwood Junior School is dedicated to providing all pupils with the outstanding Computing skills, knowledge and understanding that will allow them to broaden their learning across the curriculum. Brushwood has embedded computing into every part of the curriculum through a flexible, networked system enabling every child to have access to a computer in any location at any time. This makes learning dynamic. Teachers use interactive whiteboards to enhance curriculum delivery and therefore enrich the learning experiences of all children. We follow the content of the National Curriculum for England (2014). With the school’s extensive facilities, opportunities to develop computing skills are cross curricular. Pupils are taught to use digital media, especially the Internet, as research tools in a safe and secure environment. Pupils are also taught how to question the relevance of their data and how to modify search strategies. We use technology to enhance independent learning and specialist products are used to remove barriers to learning e.g. for children with SEN, EAL or in receipt of PPG funding.
Provision in the curriculum will enable pupils to:-
- Design and write programs that accomplish specific goals, including controlling or simulating physical systems; solve problems by decomposing them into smaller parts
- Use sequence, selections and repetition in programs; work with variables and various forms of input and output; generate appropriate inputs and predicted outputs to test programs
- Use logical reasoning to explain how a simple algorithm works, detect and correct errors in algorithms and programs
- Understand computer networks including the internet; how they can provide multiple services, such as the world wide web; and the opportunities they offer for communication and collaboration
- Describe how internet search engines find and store data; use search engines effectively; be discerning in evaluating digital content; respect individuals and intellectual property; use technology responsibly, securely and safely
- Select, use and combine a variety of software (including internet services) on a range of digital devices to accomplish given goals, including collecting, analysing, evaluating and presenting data and information